Every year, our sister company, Jacobs Media, hosts their Techsurvey, the radio broadcasting industry’s largest online survey. Now, in its thirteenth year and with over 50,000 respondents, it allows them to identify key trends in the mobile, social, and connected car spaces. Techsurvey has been quoted throughout the media world by companies such as CNN, The New York Times, and eMarketer.
Techsurvey helps radio stations better understand their brand and, more importantly, their audiences in a world where technology changes quickly. One of the insights this survey provides is what role podcasting plays for radio stations.
We’d like to share with you some of the key takeaways about how radio listeners consume podcasts:
- 21% of respondents listen to podcasts on a weekly basis or more. Furthermore, weekly or more podcast listening is the highest with Millennials at 33%.
- 18% said they listen to 3-5 podcasts per week and 12% listen to 6 or more.
- 45% hang around the house when they’re listening to podcasts and 37% said they are driving when listening. Additionally, 36% of those who were surveyed listen to podcasts while at work.
- 51% of podcast listeners prefer to listen on their smartphone while 30% prefer their desktop/laptop.
- 45% of respondents prefer music as their main podcast category, followed by radio shows that aired at 39%.
- 38% of those surveyed use a web browser to listen to podcasts and 37% use the iTunes/Apple podcast app.
- 16% of radio listeners said they’re listening to less radio due to podcasts with Millennials totaling 24%.
So, what’s the best way of delivering podcasts and other on-demand content to your audience? Clearly, it’s with a mobile app. With Apple and Google getting involved in the connected car ecosystem, and more than a third of respondents driving while listening, the car is an important place for your brand to deliver its content.
If you’re currently involved with podcasting, or looking to get involved, make sure to check out the largest gathering of podcasters in the world at Podcast Movement. This year, it takes place in Anaheim, CA from August 23-25. And, if you work in/around radio and would like $100 off your Podcast Movement registration, our sister company, Jacobs Media, was nice enough to provide a discount code. Use JACOBS100 for the $100 discount when you register here.
Podcast Movement 2017: Broadcasters Meet Podcasters